On 4/3/02 5:12 PM, "Morgan Delagrange" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[snip]

> I _am_ saying that this interface doesn't make me happy, because as soon as
> we introduce it people will assert something like, "Commons Component X does
> not correctly implement the commons-logging component because Class Y does
> not implement the external configuration interface."  I do not want to
> implement that interface in other Commons components; I don't think it's
> worth it.  Therefore I don't support its introduction to the Commons logger
> component.

Therefore - the only valid implementation of the interface that you see is
the static, singleton-accessed 'pull' approach?

Can that be noted somewhere?

>>> since we don't expect such behaviour in Commons components, it seems
>>> counter-productive to support it in the logger, which would introduce
> the
>>> possibility of such an interface being used inconsistently.
>>
>> Not sure why you wouldn't expect it - Ant, Tomcat ( all versions ), Axis,
>> etc are all essentially based on the JavaBeans patterns.
>>
>> Tomcat is now going even deeper into this with JMX support, and many
>> discussion on ant sugest more 'configurability' for components is
>> desired.
>>

>> I'm also not sure what 'inconsistent' use means for you - I think
>> ant, tomcat and most other projects I know are consistently using the
>> bean methods, togheter with JNDI and other pull patterns.
>
> I only said that, "In this particular case, [Commons component developers]
> do not require that an external framework/factory/whatever generate Log
> objects for individual classes".  I didn't say that Commons components
> should not have bean methods.  Of course they should, when appropriate.  I
> don't think logging is one of those cases.  If we add this interface, I fear
> that some components will start to adopt it internally, while others will
> not.  That's what I mean by using the interface inconsistently.

Are you saying that the Commons Logging component is for internal use only
by commons components?

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.                                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
System and Software Consulting