It's no longer tied to one logger impl.

Avalon's Framework has another logger abstraction developed at the
same time as commons logging--with the goal of being used in an IoC
framework (namely avalon).  There are abstractions for LogKit,
JDK 1.4, and Log4J--along with a couple direct impls for ConsoleLogger
and NullLogger (for output to System.out or swallowing all log
messages respectively).