Yep Geir, that was it. My lack of understanding of the jexl syntax was what
got me.

Jelly builds just enough on jexl to make it a better choice for me.
--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
Work:      http://www.multitask.com.au

                    "Geir

                    Magnusson Jr."       To:     Jakarta Commons Developers List
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                    <geirm@adeptra       cc:

                    .com>                Subject:     Re: jexl again...

                    06/13/02 03:06

                    AM

                    Please respond

                    to "Jakarta

                    Commons

                    Developers

                    List"

On 6/12/02 1:06 PM, "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The hassle I had with Jexl was using the context to set a variable to a
> value to be evaluated later. With Jexl, it meant I couldn't have a string
> with the same value as a variable name, i.e. setting 'name' to 'value'
> meant if I evaluated 'name' I always got 'value'. Good except that I'm
> trying to fit in with ant's property / value naming style.

Ah.  I think I understand what you mean.  Jelly adds the ${foo} decorations
to allow the distinction between references and constants, and to not
inflict one kind of indicator.  So jelly uses ${foo}, but others could do
$foo, %foo, <foo>, etc...  Jexl accomodates all by not inflicting one way
on
the user.

If you wanted a constant string 'name', then just put single or double
quotes around it...

    'name'

Does that address what you were saying?  (I am wondering if I missed your
point...)

Geir

> --
> dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
> Work:      http://www.multitask.com.au
> Developers: http://adslgateway.multitask.com.au/developers
>

> "Geir Magnusson Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> 06/13/02 12:59 AM
> Please respond to "Jakarta Commons Developers List"
>

>       To:     Jakarta Commons Developers List
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>       cc:
>       Subject:        Re: jexl again...
>

> On 6/12/02 11:09 AM, "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
>> Cool....I've just started the move to Jelly to handle this. It seems a
>> much cleaner implementation...?
>
> Much cleaner than?  Jelly uses Jexl...
>
>> --
>> dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
>> Work:      http://www.multitask.com.au
>> Developers: http://adslgateway.multitask.com.au/developers
>>

>> "James Strachan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> 06/12/02 08:05 PM
>> Please respond to "Jakarta Commons Developers List"
>>

>>       To:     "Jakarta Commons Developers List"
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>       cc:
>>       Subject:        Re: jexl again...
>>

>> From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>> 1) Are expressions cacheable? i.e. if I create an expression and
> execute
>> it
>>> once, can I store it away in a Map and reevaluate it, rather than
>>> recreating it?
>>
>> FWIW Jelly creates Expression objects and caches them so that they are
>> reused inside a Script. The same Expression instance could be reused in
>> multiple threads too.
>>
>> James

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> For additional commands, e-mail: <