Cactus can use any JUnit test runner. Thus it should be able to use the
exsiting JellyUnit tags with no problem. However, before running the
tests there needs some preparations to make everything automatic:
- packaging the application as a war or ear
- configuring the container
- starting it
- deploying the app in it
- stopping it

These could be easily achieved through a combination of Ant and Jelly
tags, potentially used in a Cactus Tag library which would make the
whole thing easier and more coherent to use?

-Vincent

Latka &
> Anteater)
>
> Sorry to bring up such an old thread. I've just committed a patch
supplied
> by Robert Leftwich which allows some easy testing of servlet request
using
> Jelly library which uses an embedded Jetty server.
>
> http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-commons-
> sandbox/jelly/src/test/org/apa
> che/commons/jelly/jetty/defaultServer.jelly?rev=1.1&content-
> type=text/vnd.vi
> ewcvs-markup
>
> It got me thinking; I've always kept an eye on Latka and Anteater and
it
> seems like they are getting closer and closer each day. Both use some
> degree
> of Ant, Jelly, Maven.
>
> To make unit testing of Jelly easy, JellyUnit got created which has
JUnit
> integration, assertions, expression support, XPath validation and
schema
> validation (DTD, RelaxNG and XML Schema). Maybe JellyUnit might have
some
> use to both Latka and Anteater to help them fit into a JUnit framework
(if
> they don't already do that).
> Then folks started adding HTTP client and HTTP server tags to Jelly
thats
> starting to blur the lines even more.
>
> So now we have 3 projects with some overlap. I guess Cactus might
overlap
> here too. I get the feeling all these different projects are starting
> travel in the same direction. I'm just wondering what peoples thoughts
> were
> on having some possible integration or sharing of code across the
various
> projects?
>
> I'm not exactly sure how or what should happen. Sometimes code should
stay
> seperate as it just makes life easier. I just wanted to open a dialog
> really
> to see if we can think of ways to share or reuse code or somehow work
> together to solve the same goals.
>
> James
> -------
> http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/

Latka's
> >      approach (entities) is workable but not half as nice &
intuitive.
> >    - I can <echo> whenever I want, or <fail> halfway through a test.
> >    - I can use Ant's <parallel> to test multiple servers at once.
> >    - I can capture the matched <regexp> or <xpath> value as a
property,
> >      and print it out for debugging.
> >    - I can do conditional logic, eg "If response code is 200, do a
> >      <regexp> test, else if response code is 404, set the ${failed}
> >      variable, else <fail> the test".
> >
> >  - It supports testing of interactive services like SOAP, which need
> >    hold a 'conversation' with another HTTP server. It does this by
> >    launching an embedded Tomcat instance, and then registering
> >    'listeners' which validate incoming requests and return specified
> >    'unit test' a website: have an Ant script launch the webapp, test
it
> >    and shut it down again.
> >
> >    Here's how you'd launch a Tomcat, and then send a query to
> >    it. Both the request and response are validated with <match>
tags:

> >     <servletContainer port="8101"/>
> >
> >     <http description="Test the regexp matcher">
> >       <parallel>
> >         <listener path="/good.html">
> >           <match>
> >             <method value="GET"/>
> >             <sendResponse href="test/responses/good.html" />
> >           </match>
> >         </listener>
> >
> >         <sequential>
> >           <sleep seconds="1"/>