On Thu, 31 Oct 2002, Steve Downey wrote:

> Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 16:09:01 -0400
> From: Steve Downey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: Jakarta Commons Developers List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: [clazz] Naming
>
> On Thursday 31 October 2002 07:37 am, Victor Volle wrote:
> > Steve
> >
> > Steve Downey wrote:
> > > Clazz, or whatever, should provide MetaClass facilities. That is, it
> >
> > should be
> >
> > > for creating, manipulating, etc Class instances. And, in java, an
> > > instance
> >
> > of
> >
> > > java.lang.Class is a class. So j.l.Class is a type of MetaClass.
> >
> > Technically a MetaClass is a Class. But semantically a class whose
> > instances are classes is a MetaClass. So it might help to distinguish
> > both by using the prefix Meta (as in Smalltalk80) or some other
> > naming scheme.
> >
> Yes, and a natural number N is the class of all classes containing N elements.
> What I was trying to get at was that Class and Clazz are both instances of
> MetaClass. I think. In fact, if Class wasn't final (and I hate the number of
> times I've had to say that with Java), Clazz might even be a subtype of
> Class. As it is, a Clazz which describes a particular class (e.g.
> org.apache.commons.FooBar) probably has a reference to o.a.c.FooBar's Class
> instance.

If java.lang.Class is meta-data (i.e. it describes the characteristics of
instances of that class), wouldn't Clazz actually be meta-meta-data?
After all, a thing that is called Customer at the Clazz level can be
realized as a Java class, or as a portion of an XML dom, or as a row in a
JDBC result set.  In all three cases, the meta-meta-data would be the
same, but the meta-data would be different (a Class versus a DTD/Schema
versus the JDBC metadata about that result set).

Craig