The codec package is very simple.  Right now it contains 3 encoders
specifically geared towards language ( Soundex, RefinedSoundex, and
Metaphone ).  It also contains a Base64 encoder and decoder.

There is only one interface "Encoder" with one method  "public
String encode(String pString)".  I think we need another interface
"Decoder", with a similarly simple interface "public String decode(String
pString)".

Soundex, RefinedSoundex, and Metaphone are all one way Encoders, there is
no way to "Decode" from these algorithms.  Punycode, Bootstring, and
Base64 are encoding and decoding algorithms, so I see the need for another
Decoder algorithm.

Tim O'Brien
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Ola Berg wrote:

> > Sounds like a logical addition to the codec project.  Also, the IETF
> > draft contains a sample implementation in C, it should be easy to
> > convert this over to Java.
> >
> > http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-idn-punycode-03.txt
>
> Can you give me any starting points for how to implement a codec according to your
>framework. I plan to implement a generic Bootstring codec, and a specialized Punycode
>codec on top of that.
>
> /O

Tim O'Brien
Evanston, IL