I just wanted to point out that in similar situations, more than one XML API developer
has chosen
to force String input to be wrapped in StringReader instances.  This is in a whole
programming
area devoted to nothing but processing text!  I don't think it's inappropriate at all,
even though
I've seen XML utility methods that take Strings more times than I can remember.  My
main point,
though, is that we all may as well code it right the first time for anything that's
not trivial.
You can always wrap codec code that deals with streams to deal with chunks, but not
the other way
around.

Jeff