A lot of good points.  Soundex, Metaphone, and Refined Soundex all deal
with language, it would make more sense if these classes were moved into
a language subpackage.

With regards to streams, I think it makes sense for something like
Base64 - most definitely this should be a stream oriented codec.  My
only question relates to something like Metaphone or Soundex.  The
soundex algorithm is a truncated encoding that was primarily developed
to encode last names - for example "O'Brien", or "Varszegi".   It seems
like wrapping "O'Brien" in a StringReader just to get the Soundex "O435"
is overkill.  In other words, even if I had a 512 character String, I'm
still only producing a 4 character code ( unless I use Refined Soundex
).

The only reason, I bring that up is because I need to be able to Soundex
about 120,000 strings and populate a ternary search tree in a very
limited time ( 2-4 seconds ).  If I had to insert a "new StringReader()"
into this process I'd imagine that I'd be waiting much longer to create
this index.

For Soundex, Metaphone, Refined Soundex, I'm more inspired by the
java.security.MessageDigest class.

Maybe we need two concepts:

A ChunkCodec - like Soundex, Metaphone, Refined Soundex, Message
digests....
And a StreamCodec - like Base64, Rot13, compression algorithms, sound
encoding...

--------
Tim O'Brien
Transolutions, Inc.