On Thursday, December 5, 2002, at 03:25 PM, Rodney Waldhoff wrote:

<snip>

Looking through the archives, I now see the thread named
"[beanutils][lang][PROPOSAL] deprecated beanutils version of MethodUtils"
[1] which apparently should have been flagged "[VOTE]", if that was
intended to be a binding vote.
no, that thread wasn't binding. that's one reason why i wanted to try to engage you in debate rather than just -1'ing the commit straight away :)

I'd be OK with leaving beanutils as the repository for reflection oriented
stuff.  In light of this thread, I think I'd prefer to create true
reflection oriented commons component.  I'm strongly opposed to moving a
bunch of stuff into lang because it seems somehow central or widely
applicable.  I'd rather see a bunch of focused modules with well defined
scope (however tiny) than a grand utilties framework, and my reading of
the commons charter says it agrees with me.
though i agree about your point in general, the reflection code fits perfectly into lang's spec. they are utility classes for package java.lang.
reflect.

AFAIK class and reflect(ion?) were intended to be introspection-alternatives. they need to rely on solid, low level reflection utilities.

- robert