I'm not sure I understand what is proposed :-)
However I'm strongly -1 on removing ( or deprecating ) public
code in beanutils, or on adding more dependencies.

It works fine and if another package wants to do reflection - that's
perfectly fine, but that doesn't mean everyone else is required to
stop doing reflection. If duplication is a concern - then just use
beanutils ( however duplication is explicitely allowed in commons AFAIK).

beanutils is stable, it works well, it had a number of releases that
are used in at least few jakarta projects ( tomcat for example ). The
change doesn't add any new feature and doesn't fix any bug.

Costin