On Fri, 6 Dec 2002, Costin Manolache wrote:

> robert burrell donkin wrote:
>
> > what we have is clear duplication. twice the support and twice the
> > maintenance.
>
> Nobody asks you to support 2 versions. There is nothing wrong with
> duplication ( at least in commons ). You can just maintain and support the
> version you like.

Nothing illegal with 2 versions anyway. If there are duplicate versions,
with no difference in religion between those versions, I would question
the rightness. Especially if it came from the same 'group' of developers.

[Not that I'm stating that Commons is a group of developers in any way]

> >> You're recommending deprecation of a released, public-facing API; Rodney
> >> is not.
> >
> > the (beanutils) MethodUtils API sucks. it was written in haste and now in
> > leisure, i regret that it was written in that way.
>
> It doesn't quite matter. There are people using it ( digester, other
> projects), it was released - we have to live with it. We may learn a lesson
> about APIs and use it next time, but as long as it does what it is supposed
> to do and works - you can't remove it.

So work stops on beanutils and BeanUtilsTNG is created? Why can't it be
removed? I agree that such a removal should imply a large version number
change, ie) BeanUtils 2.0, but what states that Commons libraries have to
follow slow-release deprecation methods?

> This start to look like dependency spaghetti to me, and it does create
> problems.

Yep. Reality is we are going to have N libraries with M dependencies,
where N and M will only get bigger at a rate slightly faster than we can
manage it.

Do we need to have a common plan in Commons? Or do we do our best to
ensure there are no dependencies between projects, ie) each one is
stand-alone and has some kind of copying system for internal function
calls [ie) we copy the jar, change the bytecode to a different package
name, an obfuscated one].

> > my position has always been that i'm not willing to maintain, support or
> > develop two versions of the basic reflection classes. i've also been
> > convinced that beanutils is not the right places for these canonical
> > versions.
>
> Good. Then maintain and support the other version.

While this kind of view is an important one to have in the community [as
detailed in a long thread on jakarta-general or apache-community] in that
it helps to deal with potential forking and potential project-death, it
does seem that the philosophy should be to work together until such a
point as working together is not possible, and then to allow the
community-healing mores to come into play.

Hen