--- robert burrell donkin
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<snip/>

> the guidelines have an inbuilt mechanism whereby
> components may - if they
> wish - prevent a new existing commons committer
> joining. that is, they can
> veto the addition of the committers name to the list
> of developers for the
> component.
>
> - robert

Are you sure about that?  I don't see that anywhere:

  http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/charter.html

AFAIK there are no restrictions on existing committers
working on other existing components.  If you're
implying that committers can exercise their veto on
the actual commit of a new developer's name to the
STATUS file, that's not so.  Commits can only be
vetoed for valid technical reasons.  I can't imagine
the technical justification for "you can't work on my
component".

Adding your name to the STATUS file is a courtesy.
Nobody should be ostracized for not doing it:

Version 1.8:
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-commons/beanutils/STATUS.html#rev1.8

Version 1.6:
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-commons/beanutils/src/java/org/apache/commons/beanutils/MethodUtils.java#rev1.6