There are 2 existing APIs to abstract config storage: one is the JDK1.4
prefs, the other one is JNDI. Each provides plugin mechanisms for
arbitrary storage ( XML, props - win registry, ldap, etc ).

There are several different philosophies for configuring applications -
push and pull are the major directions.

There are 2 APIs config ( push-style ): JMX and JavaBeans.
( for Pull - either JNDI or prefs can be used directly ).

I think we have more than enough. I don't see myself working on (or using)
any new config API. JMX and Beans for push are pretty clear. Prefs
is not acceptable ( since it's tied into JDK1.4 ), but JNDI is widely
used and extremely flexible. ( the only downside is the huge number
of methods a provider must implement - that can be solved with some
base classes )

Regarding the "implement all features" aproach - one important feature
is the footprint and complexity of the config. It would be quite hard
to combine it with all others.

Costin