Please lets find the original DateFormat class submitted to Joda (or you can search
the Joda archives on sf.) The original version WAS a simple single class that
replicated SimpleDateFormat but thread safe. It came from the Tea web system (Brian O
Neill).

Once in Joda it got rewritten and expanded to provide more functionality.

Stephen