> > I see his proposed technique as being useful in the case where we own
> > layers A and C, and need to get through layer B in the cleanest way,
> > where layer B doesn't expose a proper middleware understanding of
> > exception handling.  I would not want to see new middleware use his
> > proposal as an "excuse" not to provide for checked exceptions in the
> > interface.

> A RuntimeException wrapping a checked exception class may be useful
> in some cases but adding it to commons implies that Jakarta Commons
> supports poor programming practices.

Wait a second.  :-)  I think we're losing some context here.  I am not
proposing or defending the use of RuntimeException in Commons (or anywhere
else).  I tend to spend time removing the things from code, when I can, not
adding them.  The context to which I was responding is here:

http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
he.org&msgNo=29355

which proposes this technique of using of a RuntimeException to "tunnel"
checked exceptions through an existing interface.  As I said in my very
first sentence, I don't agree with his overall analysis regarding checked
exceptions, but I do see a limited use for his technique (above), and I just
wanted to know if this was something that was being proposed for use in
Commons for reuse elsewhere, or if each project would create their own
wrapper if/when necessary.

        --- Noel