Hi,
I've written a tiny webapp to function as a load balancer.  It is a
rules-based balancer, rather than round-robyn or another policy.  Rules
can be simple URL string matches, or more complex business-data rules.
They are expressed in a trivial XML format.  The way I've been using it
is setting up a cluster of tomcat servers with some webapps, and another
tomcat with this load balancer webapp in front which users access.  The
load balancer (essentially a servlet Filter mapped to /*) directs
requests according to its rules, first matching rule decides the
request, and there's a default rule for handling all requests that
aren't met otherwise.

I know there are a number of free (Balance), commercial (many), hardware
and other load balancers out there.  I also know that some people think
java is too slow to be used as a load balancer, but I've found the above
setup adequate for small and medium load sites.

Do people think this is useful enough to make a commons-sandbox
component out of it?

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics

and notify the sender.  Thank you.