Intriguing idea!  Although I tend to agree with the others that commons
sandbox isn't really the place for this.  However, I would be VERY
interested in seeing the source!  Sounds like a nifty little utility.

-----Original Message-----
From: Shapira, Yoav [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2003 12:04 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [General] New sandbox component idea

Hi,
I've written a tiny webapp to function as a load balancer.  It is a
rules-based balancer, rather than round-robyn or another policy.  Rules can
be simple URL string matches, or more complex business-data rules. They are
expressed in a trivial XML format.  The way I've been using it is setting up
a cluster of tomcat servers with some webapps, and another tomcat with this
load balancer webapp in front which users access.  The load balancer
(essentially a servlet Filter mapped to /*) directs requests according to
its rules, first matching rule decides the request, and there's a default
rule for handling all requests that aren't met otherwise.

I know there are a number of free (Balance), commercial (many), hardware and
other load balancers out there.  I also know that some people think java is
too slow to be used as a load balancer, but I've found the above setup
adequate for small and medium load sites.

Do people think this is useful enough to make a commons-sandbox component
out of it?

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics

sender.  Thank you.