Our current server (ActiveMath) is blocked entirely by JDK 1.4: it's a server with slightly too heavy memory requirements and the result is... OutOfMemoryError on most Unix-VMs if in JDK 1.4. (especially true on MacOSX, very frequent on Sun and Blackdown's on Linux).
Hence the wish not to depend on this for libraries that we would take.

However, I wouldn't object the build of a jakarta-commons component to require JDK 1.4.

Paul