But what about my point that what we have now is NOT 1.1 compatible?
VMSFTPEntryParser broke that, although it could, if necessary, be
reimplemented to use Hashtable instead of HashMap.

However, there might be room for discussion whether we want to leave 1.1
compatibility behind.  Ant 1.6 now is compatible only with JDK 1.2 and above.
There was some discussion about mandating 1.3, but that met resistance from
some.  Let alone 1.4.  That was a non-starter, as we've already heard from
several users here on the other thread.

Are there any users of Commons-Net who need 1.1 compatibility?  (Remember
NetComponents is still available).