David Graham wrote:

There will always be users that will complain when changing Java versions.
   The only semi-valid reason I've heard to not upgrade to 1.4 is that
product X requires 1.3 and product X is expensive.

Where often "Product X" is a commerical J2EE container (see below) and what is "expensive" is both licensing and migrating to a later version or a different product.

IMO, if the component needs 1.4 then you should move to 1.4. The previous
1.3 compatible version of the component will still work after the change. Product X shouldn't stand in the way of innovation :-).

Agreed...sort of. We just need to keep in mind that *lots* of server-side developers will not be able to use components that require 1.4 for some time to come.

Here is a recent TSS survey of J2EE containers that shows jdk levels supported by different containers:

http://www.theserverside.com/reviews/matrix.jsp

I know that IBM recently released WebSphere 5.1, including 1.4 support, but previous versions require 1.3.

Phil

David