In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jeffrey D. Brekke writes:
>Daniel, I agree with all your ideas, but it seems to me you can branch
>from any tagged point in the revision history so I'm not sure what the
>idea is behind deleting/renaming the tags.

All I was getting at was what to name the tag.  My understanding was
that a tag needs to be created as a branch.  I should have used
a concrete example.  I was asking which of:
   cvs rtag -b -r NET_1_0_0 NET_1_1_0_MAINTENANCE jakarta-commons/net
or
   cvs rtag -b -r NET_1_0_0 NET_FOO jakarta-commons/net
   cvs rtag -d NET_1_0_0 jakarta-commons/net
   cvs rtag -b -r NET_FOO NET_1_0_0 jakarta-commons/net
   cvs rtag -d NET_FOO
we wanted to go with (NET_1_1_0_MAINTENANCE is just for example purposes;
any other name indicating it's a branch will do).  As Noel said, this
stuff is easier with Subversion.

>Given that, as per Steve's message, we can make 1.1 compatibilty
>changes on HEAD, release and tag, and branch from that point in the
>future when/if there are bug fixes required?

+1.  That's easier and avoids the issue altogether.  I guess we'd make
NET_1_1_1 a branch tag in that case.  I've got JDK 1.1.8v1 lying
around on my development server if you want me to hunt for and correct
any other 1.1 incompatibilities.  Otherwise, if Steve's game, he
could do it pretty quickly and get on with his work.  I won't be
back home until tomorrow afternoon and my currently erratic email
polling combined with my being subscribed to the mailing list digest
means I won't be able to act on anything until tomorrow afternoon.

daniel