Here are the issues:

1. Maven sites are derived from content already stored in CVS.

2. Using CVS as a backup for a simple site does make sense, BUT this concept doesn't scale when there is a large amount of content that could be changing on a daily basis. Take change logs, or unit test reports. Or, think about versioning the StatCVS html - versioning an analysis of our version control. Storing deltas for this does not seem to be intelligent.

3. As of this Monday there were still four or five Maven gen sites that had the nav ad for ApacheCon. now this raises the question, if there is a Commons site with that ad it hints to me that no one hasn't taken responsibility for maintaining that site. Few people take responsibility for site publishing right now, and making the process an order of magnitude more difficult (requiring a "huge" number of files to be versioned every time a site is republished) will only serve to discourage people from taking initiative.

Seriously, we should not make what is a straightforward process more difficult just because "that's the policy" Adding another step to a process that no one performs - that just means that fewer people will step up to the plate and take the initiative to improve our confusing hodgepodge of websites.

Tim

Henri Yandell wrote:

It's pretty easy to change, though it assumes that everyone is playing by
the rules.

When I last attempted to make a change to the Commons site, there were
clashes in the latka/ directory and local modifications in the httpclient/
directory.

The latka clashes on reflection appear to be due to the documents being
removed from CVS, but the old CVS entries remaining.

Changing the navigation bar means being quite open with your cvs update,
and I'm hesitant to go breaking latka and potentially causing an issue
with httpclient.

Hen