On Fri, 16 Jan 2004, Henri Yandell wrote:
> The solution I think is to change the Commons site utterly. Stop it being
> an umbrella site, and turn it into more of a portal. Something that lists
> the site but doesn't have any need for a change to the portal page to
> imply a change to all sub-pages [beyond a change of logo].

I hear what you are saying on one level, but I don't think that this issue
is completely unsolvable.  I think we need to make a three month plan with
some milestones, and talk about a unified rendering strategy.  In the
short-term I think unified Navigation would be a straightforward thing to
do with our current setup, and I'm willing to put in the time (and donate
my own hardware) resources for testing out some strategies.

I'll put together a proposal about how Commons should approach site gen.

> Summarising, I see 2 viable options:
>
> 1) Dump Maven.
> 2) Dump the common nav bar.

Again, I think we can do this in a relatively painless way that reduces
the custodial burden on people who have taken up the task of keeping our
sites up to date.

I think we can do it with Maven, but I'm always open to other
possibilities.  Giveus another 3 weeks, and I think we can find a way to
get this done right.

> Extremes being:
>
> 3) Improve Maven.
> 4) Switch to dynamic pages, php/jsp/ssi.

I have no object to dynamic pages as a long-term goal, but I don't think
we need that drastic a change, yet.   But, thanks for raising the
possibility.

Tim

> Hen
>
> On Fri, 16 Jan 2004, Tim O'Brien wrote:
>
> > Here are the issues:
> >
> > 1. Maven sites are derived from content already stored in CVS.
> >
> > 2. Using CVS as a backup for a simple site does make sense, BUT this
> > concept doesn't scale when there is a large amount of content that could
> > be changing on a daily basis.  Take change logs, or unit test reports.
> > Or, think about versioning the StatCVS html - versioning an analysis of
> > our version control.  Storing deltas for this does not seem to be
> > intelligent.
> >
> > 3. As of this Monday there were still four or five Maven gen sites that
> > had the nav ad for ApacheCon.  now this raises the question, if there is
> > a Commons site with that ad it hints to me that no one hasn't taken
> > responsibility for maintaining that site.   Few people take
> > responsibility for site publishing right now, and making the process an
> > order of magnitude more difficult (requiring a "huge" number of files to
> > be versioned every time a site is republished) will only serve to
> > discourage people from taking initiative.
> >
> > Seriously, we should not make what is a straightforward process more
> > difficult just because "that's the policy"   Adding another step to a
> > process that no one performs - that just means that fewer people will
> > step up to the plate and take the initiative to improve our confusing
> > hodgepodge of websites.
> >
> > Tim
> >

> > Henri Yandell wrote:
> >
> > >It's pretty easy to change, though it assumes that everyone is playing by
> > >the rules.
> > >
> > >When I last attempted to make a change to the Commons site, there were
> > >clashes in the latka/ directory and local modifications in the httpclient/
> > >directory.
> > >
> > >The latka clashes on reflection appear to be due to the documents being
> > >removed from CVS, but the old CVS entries remaining.
> > >
> > >Changing the navigation bar means being quite open with your cvs update,
> > >and I'm hesitant to go breaking latka and potentially causing an issue
> > >with httpclient.
> > >
> > >Hen

> > >For additional commands, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Tim O'Brien
Evanston, IL
(847) 863-7045
[EMAIL PROTECTED]