Move to PHP and have an included global nav bar ;)

+1 to all you say Tim. I've no desire to put the maven sites in CVS, but
the current site is screwed up with regards to CVS.

The problem with the apachecon logo is that in the past a single change is
enough to fix all Commons sub-sites because they were all generated from
the same nav, and the site was generated all in one go.

With Maven sub-sites, we no longer have that option. Each Commons sub-site
has become even more its own entity and adding a change to the menu will
take a long long time to filter through.

It's frustrating enough that I'd almost recommend switching to frames, if
I didn't think it would get me hung, drawn and quartered.

The solution I think is to change the Commons site utterly. Stop it being
an umbrella site, and turn it into more of a portal. Something that lists
the site but doesn't have any need for a change to the portal page to
imply a change to all sub-pages [beyond a change of logo].

Looking at the [lang] maven site, this would mean throwing away all the
links on the left and reducing them to a much smaller amount based on the
ones inlined [ie) the article, the link into bugzilla for lang bugs].

It would then link up to the Commons site very, very strongly and we would
change the Commons site to better structure its information as it no
longer needs to feel like a template structure.

Summarising, I see 2 viable options:

1) Dump Maven.
2) Dump the common nav bar.

Extremes being:

3) Improve Maven.
4) Switch to dynamic pages, php/jsp/ssi.

Hen