I've tried out the release candidate that Craig has put together. Here are my comments and observations:

- Robert: the userguide was not included in 1.0.3, but it has been in the nightlies for a while.

- SimpleLog now works like a charm in an applet-environment.

- By intentionally misconfiguring commons-logging I was able to try the new exception handling in LogFactoryImpl. It looks really good. The message in 1.0.4-rc1 is so much better than in 1.0.3.

- Please add the 1.0.4 release to xdocs/index.xml

- I get the following error when I run ant dist, on sources from cvs-HEAD. I've used jdk 1.4.2_03 on WinXP with ant 1.5.4, 1.6.0 and 1.6.1. Since Craig succeded in building a release candidate, I guess that there's something wrong at my end.
javadoc:
[mkdir] Created dir: C:\cvs\jakarta-commons\logging\dist
[mkdir] Created dir: C:\cvs\jakarta-commons\logging\dist\docs
[mkdir] Created dir: C:\cvs\jakarta-commons\logging\dist\docs\api
[javadoc] Generating Javadoc
[javadoc] Javadoc execution
[javadoc] javadoc: Illegal package name: "IS BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License for the specific language governing permissions and limitations under the License.-->"
[javadoc] Loading source files for package org.apache.commons.logging...
[javadoc] Loading source files for package org.apache.commons.logging.impl...
[javadoc] 1 error

- Should PROPOSAL.html be removed now? There is a proposal.xml in xdocs.

- How do we update currentVersion in project.xml? Craig seems to be looking for a solution.

- Should we change the default in maven.xml from "java:jar" to "jar:jar". The former seems to be deprecated.

--
Dennis Lundberg

robert burrell donkin wrote:
looks good to me :)

the downside about mavenizing the documentation build is that we don't include the userguide anymore. i wonder whether we could add a README.txt referring people to the package documentation and the website.

- robert