After some fiddling with the build.xml file I managed to build the javadocs. The problem seems to be related to the " characters. First I tried to make them into html entities, but that didn't work. Then I tried escaping them with backslash and that seems to do the trick.

So what are we dealing with here? Is this a Doclet issue on Windows or is it an ant issue? Or is it just my computer that's messed up ;-)

Here's what I have in my build.xml, now that it's working:

<javadoc sourcepath="${source.home}"
destdir="${dist.home}/docs/api"
overview="${source.home}/overview.html"
packagenames="org.apache.commons.*"
author="true"
private="true"
version="true"
doctitle="&lt;h1&gt;${component.title} (Version ${component.version})&lt;/h1&gt;"
windowtitle="${component.title} (Version ${component.version})"
bottom='Copyright 2002-2004 The Apache Software Foundation.&lt;!--

Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the \"License\");
you may not use this file except in compliance with the License.
You may obtain a copy of the License at

distributed under the License is distributed on an \"AS IS\" BASIS,
limitations under the License.--&gt;'>
      <classpath refid="test.classpath"/>
    </javadoc>

-- Dennis Lundberg