Gary Gregory wrote:
I'd actually prefer to just get rid of the @author line entirely.  If
we're going to keep it, though, the link should really point at
something useful, like perhaps the home page of the Digester website.
For projects that choose to follow the Board recommendation of not using
personal @author tags, it would be nice to have a consistent format
across Jakarta.

For codec, we now use:

* @author Apache Software Foundation

I am not sure why this string and not something project specific with an
href.

If the @author tag doesn't refer to an individual, I think the easiest bet would be to just remove them.

"@author Apache Software Foundation" -- this is restating the obvious. Unless incubator projects would refer to the original author, and not Apache? In that case, it may make sense.

(example) "@author Jakarta Commons Codec Team" -- also very redundant. Who else would have written it?

Anyone who commits or submits patches to the project already knows who the "official" author is, and also the individuals who actually wrote the code behind the scenes. So, the target audience for these new @author tags seems to be people who are unfamiliar with Jakarta Commons.

Now, seeing as though these people will probably be viewing the JavaDoc at:
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/codec/apidocs

Isn't it redundant to include an href to:
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/codec
in each file?

I say let's get rid of the @author tags and save ourselves some work.
I may be misunderstanding some political issues here, maybe?