Noel J. Bergman wrote:

Gump has some of this already. It can use a CVS tag (or SVN branch)
of some module to allow this.

Which would work really well if Avalon had tagged their stuff prior to
complaints about why tagging is "sort of" vital, but all that we have are
the current jars.  Not even the Avalon folks who later tried were able to
reproduce the contents.  Not that you need to support that problem.  :-)

Just a point of clarification - James is released and running against an early unreleased version of Avalon content (the cornerstone.jar). The released (and tagged) version was made available about a year ago (and tested against James head prior to release).

And, yes, moving to a reproducible version of Avalon is on the agenda,

If you mean "moving to a released version of Avalon" then sure - that's highly recommended.

right after we ship the next Release of James.

And I would love to have James (both branch_2_1_fcs and MAIN) building with
GUMP.

One way to get a lot more value back from Gump for the James project would be to separate build descriptions for the different components that the James project is based on.

   * james core
   * dns
   * remote
   * pop3
   * smtp
   * mail-store
   * user-store
   * spool
   * nntp-repository
   * nntp-server
   * fetchpop

From here you would be able to get consistent feedback without the overhead of the relatively expensive dependency chain that exists in the current james server gump definition (23 direct, 203 implied). From this basis you could then worry about container strategies and put together a separate gump descriptor(s) that enables testing and packaging.

If the above is *too* fine-grain, then why not simply break out your james server build from the container build? The Avalon project has already gone though the process of separating out the different subsystem that james is dependent (tagged in cvs and published under specific versions).

Cheers, Stephen.