Stephen Colebourne wrote:
I would suggest that your argument is more for Apache Math than for a new
mailing list. (Note Apache Math, not Jakarta Math)

For me, [math] goes beyond the role of a simple library of common code.

Not that far, IMHO. Most of what is there now is basic, widely useful utility code.

Instead it presents a wealth of detailed mathematical code. The user of the
library needs some mathematical knowledge to get the best from the library.

Not very much. Default impls, etc. are designed to make it simple to do simple things. If this is not true, we have not done a good job designing and documenting the code.

Related to this is that the developers and advisors will be drawn from a
different (less java/programmer centric position).

I respectfully disagree here. We do need some targeted help with numerics, but what we really need is Java developers with math proficiency and need (for math functionality).

Secondly, there is no reason why [math] could not be implemented in C, C# or another language as far as I can see. (There is no general rule here, [lang] and [collections] are java focussed, but [codec] could be multi-language.

I disagree. I see [math] as very Java-focussed. The whole point of [math] is to provide ASF-licensed pure Java implementations of basic math functionality.

One option that could be considered in to use the package name org.apache.math for your 1.0 release even if you are still hosted in commons. It avoids problems later.

I would prefer to keep commons in the package name. Later, if we toss out the current PROOPOSAL (http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/math/proposal.html) and try to become an "Apache math library" a new (multi-language) project could be started in the incubator, using some commons-math components for Java implementations. Even then, I would see commons-math as a valuable commons component.

So, consider me -0 to a commons-math-user at the moment.

Stephen