Henri Yandell wrote:

The problem with Apache Math is that it's a big leap to take. Mark needs
to build community before he should really try to guide [math] to that
point.

I agree

That's why I'm +0. The hope that a commons-math-user list would help the
community to be built. I do think it's unnecessary under our usual reasons
for a separate mail list, but we also all seem to agree that Apache Math
as a long term end-goal is not out of the question trying to foster a
separate mail list would help Mark guide it there.

I'd also suggest that 3 months after creating it, Mark would have to
justify the creation by showing that community has begun to grow.

I think math could accept such an agreement. What would be a justification, "list activity" above a certain threshold?

Of course, there is the time honoured method. Start up an external mail
list to prove that the community may be built :) jmath.yahoo.com or
something.

Seems it would be difficult to keep everything focused around apache in such a case.

Hen