> Do you have any references for the quantum physics cases?  I certainly
> didn't specialize in quantum physics (plasma physics typically uses almost
> everything _but_ quantum physics), but I did get as far as a EE graduate
> course in QED and never encountered such probability models.  Maybe it's
> because I wasn't in a physics department or ever really encountered
> molecular models in what I was studying?

I don't have any references handy (not my area of expertise), but it's often
mentioned as an application area in articles dealing with these
distributions. For instance, I guess physics models that uses Brownian motion
models could use these distributions as they do show up in connection with
Brownian motion theory.

> Honestly, I doubt most of the users of Commons Math will be needing this
> kind of distribution, but I guess if we merge in (parts of) Colt, we might
> end up attracting that kind of user.

As a matter of fact, many concepts in probability theory that at first sight
may seem rather obscure can actually be used for practical applications.
Stochastic modeling of the financial markets is a good example where very
advanced mathematics is actually put to practical use.

/FN