Agreed, we also don't want to go through the acrobatics of maintaining a
jakarta/commons/tags directory with hundreds of subdirectories.  Think
about just how many tags we have in commons and then contemplate a
single directory with every <component_name>-<tag> combination, that's
going to get silly very fast.  Likewise for branches.

Each component in commons proper is a component digester has a trunk, it
gets tagged, and branches independently of latka.