On Wed, 2005-06-29 at 23:00 +0100, robert burrell donkin wrote:
> anyone strongly object to me making the dependency on the servlet api
> optional (by altering the build script)?

I would prefer to go the other way and make all of the compile-time
dependencies mandatory.

Currently the build.xml file is a mess with lots of conditional stuff:
* if log4j is present compile the related classes.
* if jdk14 or later, compile the jdk14 adapter class
* if avalon is present, compile the avalon adapter class etc

Given that all the jars are easily downloadable from ibiblio (we can
even add an ant task to do this automatically) I don't see why any of
this is necessary.

And it means that people can generate jars with name
"commons-logging-x.yy.jar" whose contents vary depending on what
jarfiles are present. I don't call that a repeatable build process
myself.

People who want customised versions of commons-logging jar files with
only some classes present can then unpack the resulting jar, delete the
unwanted files and re-jar.

TO me the benefits of a simpler and more predictable build process
outweigh the benefits of conditional compilation (avoiding download of a
couple of dependency jars).

By the way, Robert, do you have a link to information about "dependency
management tools" or whatever they were called that you mentioned when
this servlet-api stuff was first discussed? I would be interested in
learning what these are..

Regards,

Simon