Martin Cooper wrote:
Yes and no. I do see a place for JavaScript at the ASF, and I do believe we should have a forum - and a community - around that.

Kind of a tangent from my original post, but is there any chance of setting up a simple Javascript mailing list under the ASF? Or does it need to be tied to a particular project? Such a list I think would get quite a bit of traffic, certainly it would be a more on-topic place to post many of the questions we currently see on the Struts and Tomcat mailing lists (and I'm sure others). And this might serve as a good meeting place to discuss further ideas, as you alluded to later on in your reply.

However, when it comes to the fundamentals, IMHO, the Dojo toolkit has an existing and thriving community; they are pulling together the best parts of existing toolkits; and they have a quorum of some of the very smartest JavaScript developers anywhere. I really, really don't want to see the ASF go off and (try to) duplicate all of the awesome work they've done just so that it's under the ASF umbrella.

I for one would agree, if it's duplication of effort simply for the goal of having something comperable under the ASF umbrella, I wouldn't think that a good idea. But I do think a client-side Digester, even if only a small subset of the current Digester, is significantly different enough from Dojo (as far as I can see at the moment) and other things that I am aware of, that it might be worth doing.

I just noticed your a Dojo committer Martin... I wasn't aware of that.

Frank