On Monday, January 27, 2003, at 10:00 AM, Ortwin Glück wrote:

Mike Moran wrote:
I'll look into it, but I investigated this a year or so ago and then there was no way to replace the client side resolver. Regardless, one of the main reasons I would do this would be to avoid synchronous lookups. Even if the Java API was pluggable, it does not support asynchronous lookups.
Isn't JNDI supposed to be capable of looking up DNS names from a custom service provider?
Ah, yes, that is a point. I suspect JNDI will be rather too much overhead for a simple host lookup, but it's worth a look. Async lookups may also still be impossible.

I've actually already made a wrapper around the dnsjava library (quite old by now, perhaps, as it was done a year ago) so I'd rather make use of that. I'll have a look at the latest HTTPClient release to see how easy it is to do what I suggested before (accept a resolved IP address)

--
Mike