On Thursday, July 24, 2003, at 06:19 AM, Marcus Crafter wrote:

From a users perspective it would be great if the method explicitly
notified the user if this kind of input was invalid - but if that's
inconsistent with current behaviour across the client I'd be happy with it
being in the javadocs :)

I will definitely add something to the Javadocs.

Is this the only boundary case where normalizing relative URI's would fail?
I'm definitely a novice with the httpclient code, but if so, would there be
other unknown issues if we checked for and handled this case ? (in or even
outside of the httpclient code?).

It is hard to say. There are a number of test cases, most of which are based upon the examples in RFC2396bis. As with most code it is difficult to be sure there are no bugs. You are welcome to create a proof:)

Mike