Another evil plan that I have been contemplating recently is to address
our fellow open-source developers that are known to be using HttpClient
(read: shamelessly spam the dev mailing lists) and ask them what they
think of the new 3.0 API and whether they have any migration plans. If
needed I am prepared to put my kevlar helmet on with a shiny red star
and take all the blame for this atrocity.

I see no problem with this. Sounds like a good idea.

Alternatively, we can simply let things develop as their natural pace
and start hacking on the 4.0 branch. Having three active development
branches may prove too daunting, though. So I would rather see the
HttpClient 3.0 brought to a logical conclusion and a stable release (be
it late BETA, RC or FINAL), deprecate HttpClient 2.0 and then move onto
the 4.0.

I think it's definitely too soon to make a move on 4.0. I'd prefer to wait until 3.0 is nearly done, and then we can forget about 2.0.

Mike