As promised, some example jelly. Putting multipart=true is a terrible hack
but I couldn't think of a way to tell if the mail:mail tag contained any
parts at the time.
And I can't do multiple to or from, as I didn't need it at the time of
writing either.

<!-- connect to the smtp server -->

<mail:setServer type="smtp" server="mailserver.notreal.com" port="25" />

<!-- to send a simple, text mail -->

<mail:mail to="[EMAIL PROTECTED]" from="[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
subject="example simple mail">
This is just a text mail.
</mail:mail>

<!-- send a multi-part mail -->

<mail:mail to="[EMAIL PROTECTED]" from="[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
subject="example simple mail" multipart="true">
 <mail:part type="html" encoding="utf-8">
       <h1>This an html mail.</h1>
 </mail:part>
 <mail:part type="plain">
      This is the plain text part.
 </mail:part>
 <mail:part type="image/png" file="path-to-a-file.png" />
 <mail:part type="image/png" file="path-to-another-file.png" />
</mail:mail>

<!-- get mails from a pop server -->

   <mail:setServer type="POP" server="pop.fake.com" userName="user"
password="********" />

   <mail:getMessages var="messages" folder="inbox" />
       <core:forEach items="${messages}" var="message">
          <!-- do something to the mails -->
      </core:forEach>