Hi Paul,

hmmm, ok that makes sense...however, there's nothing in the fileitems list
either...here's my full code listing which i should have posted
earlier...pardon me for being so vague...

          DiskFileItemFactory
diskFactory = new DiskFileItemFactory();

          ServletFileUpload servletFileUpload =
new ServletFileUpload(diskFactory);

          servletFileUpload.setSizeMax(250000);

          diskFactory.setSizeThreshold(4096);

          String dirName = "\\";

          File f = new File(dirName);

          diskFactory.setRepository(f);

          List fileItems = null;

          try {

            fileItems =
servletFileUpload.parseRequest(pageContext.getRequest());

          }catch (FileUploadException e) {

            System.out.println("no file
items"+ e);

          }

          String optionalFileName =
"";

          FileItem fileItem = null;

          Iterator i = fileItems.iterator();

          while (i.hasNext()){

            FileItem fileItemTemp =
(FileItem)i.next();

            if (fileItemTemp.isFormField()) {

              fileItemTemp.getFieldName();

              fileItemTemp.getString();

              if
(fileItemTemp.getFieldName().equals("writing header " +
"name"))

                optionalFileName =
fileItemTemp.getString();

            }

            else

              fileItem = fileItemTemp;

          }

          if (fileItem != null) {

            String fName = fileItem.getName();

            /* Save the uploaded file if its
size is greater than 0. */

           if (fileItem.getSize() > 0) {

              if
(optionalFileName.trim().equals(""))

                fName =
FilenameUtils.getName(fName);

              else

                fName = optionalFileName;

              String fullPath = dirName +
fName;

              File saveTo = new File(fullPath);

              try {

                fileItem.write(saveTo);

              }catch (Exception e){

                System.out.println("An
error occurred when we tried to save the uploaded file."+e);

              }

            }

          }

can you see anything that would cause it to throw an exception everytime except
when the post comes from a form in an html page?

thanks