here's the actionscript file....on the root timeline i instantiate the class
like so...the uploadButton is just a button from the component
library...nothing to it right?
thanks

uploadBtn.addEventListener("click", uploadImage);

// When the user clicks the button Flash calls the uploadImage() function,
// and it opens a file browser dialog.
function uploadImage(event:Object):Void {
    var uploader:FileUploader = new FileUploader();
    uploader.UploadImage(event);

  //imageFile.browse([{description: "Image Files", extension:
"*.jpg;*.gif;*.png"}]);
}

import flash.net.FileReference;

class app.data.FileUploader{

    //VARS
    private var Listener:Object;
    private var UploadURL:String;
    private var ImageFile:FileReference;

    public function FileUploader()
    {
         Listener = new Object();

        Listener.onSelect = function(selectedFile:FileReference):Void {

          // Upload the file to the java server on the server.
          //SetUploadURL("");

            trace(selectedFile.name);
            trace(selectedFile.size);
            trace(selectedFile.type);
            trace(selectedFile.name);
            trace(selectedFile.modificationDate);
            trace(selectedFile.creationDate);

          var tempResult:Boolean =
selectedFile.upload("http://localhost:8082/ncaa/upload/fileUpload.jsp";);

          trace(tempResult);
        };

        Listener.onOpen = function(selectedFile:FileReference):Void {

        };

        Listener.onComplete = function(selectedFile:FileReference):Void {

          trace("selected filename complete: "+selectedFile.name)
        };

        Listener.onHTTPError = function(file:FileReference,
httpError:Number):Void {
            trace("onHTTPError: " + file.name);
            trace("onHTTPError: " + httpError);
        }

        Listener.onIOError = function(file:FileReference):Void {
            trace("onIOError: " + file.name);
        };

        Listener.onSecurityError = function(file:FileReference,
errorString:String):Void {
            trace("onSecurityError: " + file.name + " errorString: " +
errorString);
        };

        ImageFile = new FileReference();
        ImageFile.addListener(Listener);

    }

    public function SetUploadURL(url:String)
    {
        //TODO: pass in url and

        UploadURL = "http://localhost:8082/ncaa/upload/fileUpload.jsp";;

    }

    // If the image does not download, the event object's total property
    // will equal -1. In that case, display a message to the user.
    private function ImageDownloaded(event:Object):Void {
        //TODO: attach to card movieclip
      if(event.total == -1) {
        trace("image downloaded: ");
      }
    }

    private function DownloadImage(event:Object):Void {
        //TODO: loadMovie....
        trace("calling download image");
    }

    public function UploadImage(event:Object):Void
    {