Andrew C. Oliver wrote:

View 1: Open the list completely, anyone can subscribe, post and read the archive

+1

View 2: Keep the list open only to committers, members and invitees (highly contributive developers and users) so far as posting goes, however allow anyone to read or view the archive (and include an archive such as MARC, etc.

+1

View 3: Close the list to all except members and committers.

-0

I think public accessibility is a good thing. I think the concerns of some people about view 1 is the possibility of a low S/N. OTOH, I don't think that has been a problem for lists such as [EMAIL PROTECTED] so I'd be inclined to go with view 1.

Conor