James Cox wrote:

>You make a lot of good points.  Let me be devil's
>advocate and make a couple explicit points that I
>think you imply above:
>
>1) ASF membership is very important
>2) ASF membership is more likely to be contentious
>than other decisions for that reason
>
>Perhaps some middle ground could be reached?  A public
>discussion on merits followed by a private debate?
>Leave the decision of whether or not to address the
>candidate directly to each member?  Maybe at the end
>of the day, the community list is the wrong place for
>the ultimate resolution of the process, but it may be
>a useful auxiliary tool.

+1.

Greg, you make -- as always -- some very fine points, however Morgan has
really pointed it out here. This is an important issue, but sometimes it's
nice to have a general forum to gauge opinion :)

Don't know if you guys are familiar with the architectural concept of 'Inversion of Control' (IoC).

If not, please read

 http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/framework/guide-patterns-ioc.html

This is also called 'the hollywood principle': don't call us, we call you.

The ASF adopts the pattern of IoC when proposing new members: that means: one gets called only when voted in. Otherwise, life continues with no problems.

This allows, for example, resolutions like "I think he/she is not ready yet". I would personally be very pissed if somebody told me that I'm not ready *yet*, because if they assume I will be, then why don't they vote me in now? and maybe that impatient attitude is exactly what they want me to learn.

I think Sam is mistaken thinking that openess = better and committers nomination = members nomination always.

So, I think we should stick with the old IoC nomination model of members proposing a committer on [EMAIL PROTECTED], and, if voted in, presented the membership here on community@ and, if voted out, keeping this silent.

But I might well be wrong.

--
Stefano Mazzocchi                               <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>