On 30 Oct 2002, David Crossley wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> > David Crossley wrote:
> >
> > David,
> >
> > what you are talking about is a PMC. If (when?) Cocoon will be upgraded
> > to be a fully recognized and structured ASF project, we'll have a PMC
> > exactly for those discussions and the PMC mail list (for legal and
> > security reasons) will have to be private.
>
> No, not a PMC. I mean a method for *all* committers of a
> project to be able to discuss certain things in private.
> I notice that you expressed similar reasoning to my first
> paragraph, in your other reply to this thread. It was the
> success of that small-group off-line proposal and subsequent
> on-line vote of Nicola Ken committer, that sparked my reply too.

Interestingly, the TOMCAT-DEV list just had a conversation about the topic
of a committers-only list.  The purpose there was not to discuss PMC-like
things -- the idea was to have a forum to discuss solutions to potential
or actual security vulnerabilities, before they became public knowledge,
so that a fixed version of Tomcat could be made available.  This was in
response to the typical patterns of such discussion (private email thread
with cc's to all the committers you think might be interested), which
proved to be inefficient and potentially left important contributors out
of the loop.

The general response to this idea on TOMCAT-DEV was negative -- ranging
from concerns that development direction decisions would be made in
private and then announced to the world, all the way to your typical
conspiracy theorist's worst nightmares.  The idea has yet to be
implemeted, but I suspect it will end up being done.

Personally, I thought this was a pretty good answer to a particular
demonstrated need to communicate in a less-open forum (in spite of my
general prediliction towards open communications).  Yet, even that
pretty obvious need was not enough to avoid quite a lot of knee-jerk
reaction.

Come to think of it, the reaction was quite similar to the lambasting
that the Jakarta PMC got about a year ago, based on the theory that lots
of decisions were being made "behind closed doors" (trust me -- I was
there -- they weren't).  I guess this all might say something about the
Jakarta sub-culture being somewhat different than the rest of Apache
(which was also reflected, to some degree, in the "open mailing list"
vote) ...

> --David

Craig