On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 02:30:24PM -0800, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> --On Wednesday, November 27, 2002 12:34:00 -0800 Stefano Mazzocchi
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >I would like to propose the creation of the 'community.apache.org' web
> >site.

+1

> >Currently, some people have their apache homepage on www.apache.org/~name
> >and some on cvs.apache.org/~name and some don't have it.
>
> I'm -0 on the proposal for the following reason: what happens when someone
> places something inappropriate on their website?  While I know we're all
> reasonably sane adults, I've run enough 'community' websites to get fed up
> with morons complaining about potentially offensive comments one of our
> users posted.  Even worse, when people place infringing
> code/music/pictures,

+1 on having a usage policy.  I'd suggest "anything not blatantly
illegal".

> I end up being the bad guy shutting the account down.
> I don't appreciate it when someone does that.  (Comments that we don't
> assume liability for the content doesn't assuage an irate moron - they'll
> still complain.)

Then the people behind [EMAIL PROTECTED] should investigate
killfiles.. I don't see this as a strong counterargument.

> I'm about as a strong proponent of free speech as there is, but this has
> the propensity to snowball into a bureaucratic nightmare.  I'd rather
> people only have ASF-related stuff on their 'personal' ASF website, or a
> redirect/link to their 'official' non-ASF site.

I'd guess most people don't have a stable place to host a 'personal'
website, other than some place like geocities.

> I don't see how this coincides with the goals of the ASF.

It puts a face to otherwise faceless committers, making the community
stronger.

Alternatively..

Let's abandon all this wishy-washy 'community' guff and focus on what
matters: the code.  As Coding Machines, I say each new committer be
assigned a serial number by which they are addressed publicly.  With
luck, we can eliminate any trace of this 'individuality' that dilutes the
Apache brandname.

--CM029476