On Sun, 2004-01-11 at 01:05, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
>
> > > Unrelated to whether or not we would use it, I think that blojsom could
> be a
> > > very nice ASF project.  From what I have seen of it, I'd support its
> entry
> > > to the Incubator.
>
> > Does it seem sensible to take an already successful ASL licensed,
> > community developed piece of software by an already successful
> > open source developer and force it into a somewhat beta status by
> > making it go through the incubator "just because that is the way
> > things are done"?
>
> The Incubator's purpose is to ensure that projects coming into the ASF
>
>   - are legally clean,
>   - that their communities are healthy,
>   - and that they follow basic ASF policies/procedures.
>
> In my opinion, some projects are spending too long in the Incubator because
> they aren't focusing on getting out.

Also, define too long.  I think that an external project* coming to the
ASF has quite a lot of stuff to process.  Getting out within a month
would surprise me.

*) As in, no affilliation with the ASF, no ASF committers there at all,
   etc.

> If a project is a successful, ASF license, community-developed piece of
> software, then it need not stay long in the Incubator.  However, ASF
> projects are supposed to be developed by communities, because it is
> important that the project survive beyond the interests of any particular
> participant.  That is why two of the purposes for Incubation are to ensure
> that there is a healthy developing COMMUNITY, and that it is following basic
> ASF policies.
>
> Cocoon's Lenya project and XML's XMLBeans project are far from "beta
> status."

And the same can be said for SpamAssassin.  The SA crowd is cool to work
with.  They are making an effort to get the steps done to become a full
ASF project.  I remember a comment from one of them about incubation
being more useful then he originally thought.  That made me smile.

>   As noted by multiple projects in the Incubator: "Incubation is
> required of all newly accepted projects until a further review indicates
> that the infrastructure, communications, and decision making process have
> stabilized in a manner consistent with other successful ASF projects.  While
> incubation status is not necessarily a reflection of the completeness or
> stability of the code, it does indicate that the project has yet to be fully
> endorsed by the ASF."
>
> Endorsement by the ASF is based upon with the belief that a project's IP is
> clean, and that it has developed a healthy community that will ensure its
> long term viability.  We incubate projects to ensure those things, not for
> ceremony or "just because that is the way things are done."

+1.

Sander