Noel,

> > Ceremony. I suspect it that even such a nice community has to
> > be baptized once. (one day or less)
> > Legitimatization, in order to keep *consistency* in a big
> > and social community. To make it orthodox.
> No, Incubation has nothing to do with pomp and circumstance.

Pomp? .. I do not think "it" is pomp.
What makes "it" pomp might be the intentions/hearts of the
interested parties.

I would like to see the "cheerful"/"considerate" incubation.

However,

> The Incubator's purpose is to ensure that projects coming into the ASF

>   - are legally clean,
>   - that their communities are healthy,
>   - and that they follow basic ASF policies/procedures.

I agree with this, too. IMHO, the problem seems that
the last two purposes listed here can not be measured
in scientific way. Also, i am afraid it that 99% of the
participants in incubator would be not laywers.
How can you, non-laywers, judge whether XYZ project is legally
clean/safe or not, by the way? (Sorry for such a childish question)
... Incubator project PMC has at least three laywers?

Also,
I'd like to know why there could be a lot of "far from beta"
projects in incubator. (Really are they "far from beta"?)

I am happy to see the "nurturing" incubation process & projects,
which can be also suitable for
http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Points/
http://www.w3.org/2003/06/Process-20030618/