No, a vote is taken after the issues are discussed in an open forum.
Our garden operates like this and the discussions/debates get quite
lively. Most of the time the decisions made have been very good for
the garden as a whole. In community gardens, garden members must feel
free to propose ideas and changes to the garden at meetings. Meetings
should happen on a regular basis, monthly or bi-monthly depending on
the garden's size. And a member's vote should count!

As elected president of a garden, I get a lot of ideas and suggestions
from members on how the garden should operate. As president I can't
impose these suggestions no matter how much I agree with them. My
method is to have the person personally bring it up at a meeting or
present it to me in a written statement so as president I can present
the idea as they have it. If the idea is good, it usually moves
forward in some way. If the idea is daft, usually the person
suggesting it will not even bring it to a meeting. If they do the idea
is almost always voted down.

A group is a group. Group decisions can be horrible at times. This
country is occasionally a very good example of that. Individuals get
tromped on by groups all the time. But sometimes an individual isn't
acting in anyone's interest just their own self-interest. Sometimes
the "other side" is right but the "group" has collectively made a
mistake. The mistake can be fixed but the other side must approach the
problem with a collective spirit of trust and hope not a combative
spirit of war. War isn't necessary among a family.

What a community garden can do is show that a full democracy can work
in the long run.

William Hohauser
Sixth Street and Avenue B Garden