We get these kinds of challenges when groups haven't decided how they
are going to make decisions before they have to get into actually making
them - the "no process" model.  Bill's "one person-one vote, majority
rules" model is one way to go.  It does mean that you can make a
decision in challenging circumstances, but it also means that you get
winners and losers and the likelihood that the same issue will keep
coming around.  I tend to prefer some kind of consensus model.  It
drives some people crazy because it can be very time consuming, but it
can allow an apparently fractious group to move forward positively
without kicking some folks to the curb.
For example, the "lock/no lock" discussion, if there are strong
proponents on each side, appears difficult to resolve.  Alternate
solutions might look like "try a lock for a month and revisit at our
next meeting," or "lock at night and leave open during the day," or "try
some other security methods for a month and revisit at our next
meeting," or something else.  It involves people spending the time and
exercising the creativity to arrive at a mutually acceptable course of
action.  It is not unanimity.  People still hang onto their core
beliefs, but they can arrive at a course of action while agreeing to
disagree.
Neither process is necessarily perfect in all situations.  Both can
require some skill and practice to use well, so that voting doesn't
become a blunt instrument and consensus doesn't turn into a confusing
mess.  I believe it's worth the effort either way.
Sometimes a good battle is also a good impetus for a group to talk about
its values and ways to realize them in their decision making.
Good luck to us all.
JH

Jack N. Hale
Executive Director