Am 03.11.2005 um 23:32 Uhr schrieb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

I disagree about it's upgradability. True you could not add expansion
cards. There were a couple of upgrade amnufacturers

<takes a deep breath after a long giggle>
Precious. Forgive my sillyness, but I love this typo, and Dr.Freud would have, too. An amnufacturer is a manufacturer that fell victim to the amnesia of his customers, hence to a regrettable loss of existance. (A tribute to the Douglas-Adams-fans out there!)

Sorry, Allen, if I was too wordy to be clear in my post. I only meant to say there was a lack of upgradability in the ROM-boot feature (inevitably so, as it was ROM), not in the hardware, but the more technologically educated than me surely could say if there had been a possibility to develop this further. With things like flash booting and firmware upgrades going round today, it is hard to fancy for a simple user like me what options Apple really had fifteen years ago. Does anybody here have first-hand information on why Apple dropped the ROM-boot feature in the Classic II - a machine that would deserve the "Road Apple" designation at least as much as the Classic, if not more, IMHO? I find it hard to believe it was only for the cost of memory after they had included it in the Classic. It dropped in the same way, I'd speculate, as the size of the System folder grew as time passed.

Curious, OM

/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign
 \ / No HTML/RTF in email
  X  No Word docs in email