On Sat, 2006-12-23 at 20:20 +0100, Łukasz Lew wrote:
> On 12/23/06, Don Dailey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Based on some research I've done, it does make some sense to give some
> > compensation for handicap stones,  because it makes it match Japanese
> > and without it, the kyu system is not balanced.   I have doubts that
> > it's
> > perfectly balanced anyway,  but that's a different subject.
> >
> > So I think we will include this in our handicap server.   I want to make
> > it as unambiguous as possible.   There are some ways to handle
> > this:
> >
> >    1.  The program must know how to make the compensation.
> >   OR
> >    2.  The server adds the stones to komi and the program pretends
> >        there is no such thing as compensation - it's just built in
> >        to komi.
> >   OR
> >    3.  We have a GTP command to handle it.  (presumably there is no
> >        specific gtp command to deal with it.
> >   OR
> >      any suggestions?
>
> AGA rules solve the problem gracefully.
>
> http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~wjh/go/rules/AGA.concise.html
>
> I suggest to use them.

Łukasz,

There is nothing on that site that addresses this issue,  in fact the
site
seems geared towards human play and not computer play.

Not only that, but the rules are different than CGOS uses.  In fact the
rules
don't even specify a standard,  lot's of options like which kind of
scoring
system to use, etc.

There is a paragraph on scoring disputes and how to handle them,  but
nothing
that I would consider "graceful" and elegant.

The problem I'm trying to address is how to communicate, or not
communicate to
the programs what handicap system is in place, and whether handicap
stones are
"compensated."    I'm not trying to figure out which handicap system to
use,  I've already decided to go with the KGS system that Magnus is
advocating.

The simplest thing is to just explain it on a web page, but there is no
explicit
way to tell the programs that white is being compensated (or not) for
the
handicap stones and that bothers me.

- Don